Our "innovation showcase" presents a series of webinars and recorded interviews focused on examples of new and adapted products, structures or transactions which support climate in an innovative way
Our aim is to highlight examples of what is possible across export credit and beyond, the role of our industry within the bigger climate picture, and also help inspire organisations who are just starting this process.
GREEN PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT (ATRADIUS DSB)
New financial products to support energy transition through innovation for exporting Dutch companies
The Green Cover solution allows to increase green production capacity and invest in new technology; offers risk mitigation and financing during the early product development phase; helps companies develop or scale up sustainable projects or green capital goods
The Green Cover Investment Loan for capital goods is a complementary and customised export credit insurance for capital goods. It supports investments in companies to make capital goods greener and expand manufacturing capacity for green products.
Presented by Laura de Bresser
EQUITY INVESTOR AND NON-TRADITIONAL PARTNERSHIP PRi FOR OFFGRID SOLAR (MIGA)
MIGA outline an innovative risk mitigation transaction to mobilise private capital and long term debt in Africa
- MIGA support helps deliver off-grid solar energy to reduce GHG emissions, create jobs, and increase economic opportunities in underserved communities in Rwanda, Kenya, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Introduction to transaction participants:
Mansoor Hamayun, CEO of Bboxx, Ashwin West of African Infrastructures Investment Managers (AIIM), and Harry Guinness of Lion's Head
- The guarantee holders of this long term transaction cover the fund's equity and quasi-equity/shareholder loan investments in Bboxx Capital Limited
- Discussion on the importance of combining private capital, local lender, and trackable customer cash flows that make this project exciting and innovative; what roles they play; and why MIGA's risk mitigation support is critical
Moderated by Hoda Moustafa
PERFORMANCE INSURANCE FOR NEW TECHNOLOGY RISK (AXA XL)
AXA XL give an overview of their performance insurance solution and its application to new technology as an enabler for renewable and climate projects
- Defining performance insurance as a mitigant to specific technology risk relating to a new or renewable project
- Conditions to trigger the policy considering when the technology fails to perform; warranty clauses; existing debt service or contingency reserves
- Benefits to the lender to cover the gap in debt obligation, with the length of the policies matched to the term of lending, typically over 5 -15 years
- Benefits to the insured in order to get better interest rate on debt financing, or even achieve financing where they otherwise couldn’t
- Types of technologies covered include green energy related as well as other technologies, with data points availability required from prior testing
- Case study
Presented by Simon Morden and Jiten Halai
Get in touch if you would like to volunteer an example from your organisation, or if you would like to highlight an example from another organisation which you think we should feature in more detail.
The showcase will culminate with a written paper of trend analysis, indicating the overall themes around climate innovation in export credit.
We are currently producing the first webinars in the series - check back later or keep an eye on our news page to stay updated.