Increasing MLT outward reinsurance from ECAs placed with the private market

21/05/2019
Member News

According to Berne Union data, MLT outward reinsurance from ECAs has increased by 10% over the past 5 years and, as of 2018 totals over USD 70bn, from a total exposure of around USD 700bn

An increasing amount of ECA exposure is being reinsured by the private insurance market, reflecting both the increasing capacity and appetite of private insurers, and increasingly common public-private cooperation in export credit.

While previously, the majority of ECA's outward reinsurance went to other ECAs, the situation flipped around 3 years ago and now the majority (57% / USD 40bn) is taken by private insurers/reinsurers or multilaterals (the other 43% / USD 30bn being ECA-ECA reinsurance).

Cooperative reinsurance agreements and placement of ECA risks in the private market are key talking points for the 2019 gathering of Berne Union reinsurance specialists in Pula, this week, hosted by HBOR.

A meeting summary will follow in a future newsletter publication.

Latest News

July BUlletin Released

31/07/2019
Publications
This edition examines how current trends may influence the future of our industry over the coming de...

BU Education Scholarship Awarded to Shelley Schad, AXA XL

30/07/2019
Secretariat Update
The scholarship provides for a fee waiver to join the October 2019 intake of Offenburg University’s ...

Distance Learning in Finance, Risk and Insurance

13/06/2019
Secretariat Update
The Berne Union has Partnered with Offenburg University to provide special access for members undert...

Central Bank of Egypt looking for potential Business Advisors

05/06/2019
Outreach
Central Bank of Egypt request

May BUlletin Released

24/05/2019
Outreach
Addressing the evolving role of international financial institutions in generating sufficient risk c...

The Berne Union response to the European Banking Authority (EBA)

23/05/2019
Member News
European Banking Authority (EBA) publishes a consultation paper

Increasing MLT outward reinsurance from ECAs placed with the private market

21/05/2019
Member News
An increasing amount of ECA exposure is being reinsured by the private insurance market, reflecting ...

RFP: Consultant Report on Best Practice, Role, Structure and Operations of State-Funded ECAs

15/05/2019
Secretariat Update
Commissioned by the German Governmental Development Agency and European Commission, with respect to ...

RFP: Legal Advisory Services in relation to the establishment of an Egyptian ECA

14/05/2019
Secretariat Update
Central Bank of Egypt is seeking Legal Advisory Services to assist in the establishment of an Egypti...

Claims and Recoveries Specialist Meeting

09/05/2019
Secretariat Update
Over 120 delegates are gathered in Istanbul for the 2019 Claims and Recoveries Specialist Meeting

Upcoming meetings

19-20 Sep 2019

SME Specialist Marketing Workshop

Stockholm, Sweden
EKN will be hosting a SME marketing focused workshop in Stockholm from 19 - 20 September
HOTEL RESERVATION by 17.08
Read more
20-24 Oct 2019

Hyderabad Annual General Meeting 2019

Hyderabad, India
The 2019 AGM will take place in October - hosted in Hyderabad by ECGC.
Registration Open!
Read more
15-17 Apr 2020

Claims and Recoveries Specialist Meeting 2020

London, United Kingdom
The 2020 Claims and Recoveries Specialist Meeting will take place on 15-17, in London, UK, host...
11-14 May 2020

Spring Meeting 2020

Budapest, Hungary
The 2020 Spring Meeting will take place in October - hosted in Budapest by EXIM Hungary.